GRY Riddle and other Word Play
The "gry riddle" is simply this: Name two English
words that end in the letters "gry." You'll find the
solution at the bottom of the page. Here are some other riddles
and word play for you.
1. Name a word that has all five vowels in it, in the same
order they are found in the alphabet.
2. Spelled differently, but pronounced the same, one per day
for a healthy life and one to weigh a gift for your wife. What
are these words?
3. What is the only English word that ends in the letters
4. Name the only five words in the English language that end
5. Name at least two words that have "uu" in them.
6. What does the "HEPA" stand for in "HEPA
More Word Play
Rearrange the letters of "George Bush" and you get
"He bugs Gore."
The GRY Riddle Answer
Hungry and Angry
Note: A Brainpower Newsletter subscriber tells me that,
"Gry was a word that is listed in the 1936 Websters unabridged
dictionary. Its definition is 1/10 of a line. This was implemented
before the U.S. started using mili, micro etc. It was used to
describe a very small width." (Thanks John)
Also, the following now appear in some dictionaries:
Puggry: A light scarf wound around a hat or helmet to protect
the head from the sun.
Aggry: Applied to a kind of variegated glass beads of ancient
manufacture; as, aggry beads are found in Ashantee and Fantee
The Word Play Answers
1. Here are two (there may be more): facetious and abstemious.
2. Carrot, the vegetable, and caret, the measurement of the
weight of a diamond.
4. Tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, arduous, and hazardous.
5. Vacuum, residuum, or continuum.
6. "High Efficiency Particulate Air" (filter), or
less commonly "High Efficiency Particulate Absorbing"
or "High Efficiency Particle Arrestor"