Eight Online Riddles
This is yet another page of online riddles in our collection,
and yes, you'll find the solutions here as well. The rest of
the riddle and puzzle pages can be found on our riddle
and puzzle page. Enjoy!
1. Jack is 52 years old, and his father is 78. How many years
ago was it when his father was three times the age of Jack?
2. Name at least two words that have the five vowels (a, e,
i, o, u) in them and in the right order.
3. When is a day longer than a year?
4. What is the largest amount of money you can have in in
coins (U.S. currency) without being able to make change for a
5. One of these words is not like the others. Which one, and
how is it different? Race... borrow... taste... suspect... drive...
6. If you increase what you make in a year by 50%, and then
the next year it falls by a third, are you making:
A) The same amount as you were making originally.
B) More than you were making originally.
C) Less than you were making originally.
7. I am an insect, and the first half of my name is the name
of another insect. What am I?
8. Two fathers and two sons go fishing, and each catches one
fish to take home. Why do they bring only three fish home?
Solutions to the Riddles
1. 39 years ago, when Jack was 13 and his father was 39.
2. The best known are abstemious and facetious, but we can
also include the botanical words acheilous, anemious, and caesious,
the zoological word annelidous, and the chemical term arsenious.
3. When you are on Mercury. A day there is twice as long as
a year, because Mercury rotates very slowly but travels around
the sun quickly (less than 88 earth days).
4. $1.19 (three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies).
5. Every word on the list can be used as both a noun and verb,
6. A. Anytime you increase something by half, and then decrease
it by a third, you end up where you started. Plug some numbers
into this and it is easy to see. (40 increased by half is 60.
Then take away a third of 60 and you are back to 40.)
7. I am a beetle (the other insect is "bee"). Other
acceptable answers are ant lion and cicada killer,
and there are almost certainly more.
8. They are a boy, his father, and his father's father, so
there are two fathers and two sons, but only three people total.