Difficult Riddles And Brain Teasers
Here are a few difficult riddles and tough brain teasers to
exercise that brainpower. You'll find the solutions at the bottom
of the page.
1. You can take away the whole and still have some left. You
can take away some and still have the whole left. What is it?
2. If a man can walk 2 miles per hour, and needs nine hours
of sleep each day, what is the fastest he could travel the 3000
miles from New York to Los Angeles?
3. The thunder comes before the lightning; the lightning comes
before the clouds. The rain dries everything it touches.
4. "Duo" is the shortest word with "uo"
in it. What is the longest word you can find with "uo"
in it? There is at least one with 12 letters in it.
5. On a beautiful sunny day in Florida, a man freezes to death
outside. How is this possible?
6. Can you punctuate the following, in order to make it a
proper English sentence? I said that that that that that man
wrote should have been underlined
7. Alex bought a bag of apples on Saturday, and he ate a third
of them. On Sunday he ate half of the remaining apples. He ate
one more on Monday and one more on Tuesday, then ate half of
the remaining apples on Wednesday. On Thursday he looked in the
bag and saw that there was just one apple left. How many apples
did the bag have to begin with?
1. The word "wholesome."
2. Just about three hours in a plane. (Okay, or 100 days walking,
but the riddle didn't specify that he was walking - just that
he can walk two miles per hour.)
3. A volcano.
4. "Fluoridation" has 12 letters, and some dictionaries
carry "fluoridization," with 14 letters, as a synonym.
The word "duotrigintillion" is in some English dictionaries.
It is the name for a very large number (10 to the 99th power),
and it has 16 letters.
5. He climbed into the landing gear of a plane to get a free
ride, and the temperature at 30,000 feet was 40 degrees below
6. I said that,"that 'that' that
that man wrote should have been underlined. For a complete
explanation, see the page; That Riddle
About That "That".